Monday, February 27, 2006

The year of knitting dangerously.....

I've never been one to follow the crowd. In high school, when mini skirts were popular (and I had the legs to wear them) I wore midi-skirts. If someone wrote that AB beads were hard to manage, I used them everywhere, and somehow made them work. So the popular wisdom that painted/multi yarns were terrible for patterned/lace knitting didn't make much of an impression. I've been told that I have a unique and "exciting" color sense. I think that means I take color risks, with improbable combinations, and somehow they work. Which is why I have a beaded ornament collection that includes several brown ornaments. (Or that my work is weird and the commentators don't have any idea what to say!) My favorite book on color is one by Margie Deeb (title lost in the cavern of my head). It specifically addresses beads and color. The astute reader will most certainly remind me of the fact that beads and fiber are really (REALLY) different mediums!! So far, though, I've played with fiber fire, and it's worked out really well. At least I've been pretty happy.

Example #1



This sock for example .... yeah, yeah, feather and fan lace, Socks that Rock Carbon, colorway disguises the lace pattern, but, actually, I think the colorway makes the lace pop. Maybe you don't think so. Well, that's OK. I don't think I'll be losing any sleep over it, and I doubt that you'll be losing sleep either over a misguided knitter in Central PA.


But now we come to this........

It is the Cozy pattern from Knitty. My original inclination was to use Elsbeth Lavold wool/silk. But during the Super Bowl sale at my LYS, I succumbed to cotton. They didn't have enough of the color I liked the best, but it was 50% off, so I chose the multi pictured. Yeah, same sad story. So I forged ahead this past weekend and began Cozy. After two or three repeats, I can honestly say, I don't like the pattern with the colors, the drape is too stiff. Wait, what am I saying--there is no drape?! It is very stiff and it makes me tired knitting it. (I usually have no problems with cotton, so I don't think it's the fiber.) So what say you? Should I forge ahead or frog and find a project better suited to 800 yards of cotton yarn. Which begs the question does anyone have any project suggestions for said, stiffish, sorta splitty, cotton?

No comments: