Thursday, February 23, 2006

Thank Goodness they're almost over.....

....... yeah, the olympics I mean. I know I'm in the minority here (or maybe not based on ratings) but I find them extremely hard to watch. NBC, who is broadcasting most of the events in prime time here in the US, long after we've heard the results, seems to think that everyone has the attention span of a flea--or someone who watches MTV. They show the top three skeleton competitors, then the top three snowboarders, then back to skeleton or the the guy on the Zamboni, or worse curling, a niche sport for sure. Hey, NBC, how about this. Pick an event, show us ALL the folks who compete, that way we may even cultivate an appreciation for the sport. We might even be able to see why someone didn't get good scores verses someone who did. How about that? Oh, yeah, and in between there are 10 minutes of commercials, which makes it convenient if I want to do the laundry while I'm "watching".

To add insult to injury, the other networks are playing up their "reality" (term used loosely) crap (to scarf up ratings) and not showing the few programs I do watch, like House. Someone try and tell me that watching bad entertainers crash and burn is better than House? Go ahead and try.

I'm sure you'll have figured out that I'm not a reality show fan. I've only watched one episode, one time. That was the infamous first Survivor when some idiot was walking around in his birthday suit because it was his birthday. I was away at a conference and killing time until I could call home. I had the TV on in the hotel room. I haven't watched a "reality" show since. Strangely, I used to be a big fan of Burnett's Eco-Challenge Adventure Race. Which I now realize was a reality show in and of itself. The difference is that there is no "voting". The race teams made it or didn't. It was painful, grueling, and sometimes the unexpected happened.

So the good news is that I've found other things to do, like go to a Canadian Brass concert. (See... not having Olympic knitting on my mind I actually get to do enjoyable things.) If you've never heard this group, and have the opportunity, do!! You will not be disappointed. They are a chamber group, but play all types and styles of music. And they're funny and entertaining to boot. How does one get to be an accomplished musician AND entertaining and funny? It just doesn't seem fair, does it?

De rigeur artsey stuff. I'm on the last few rounds of my third and hopefully, final for awhile, Kitty Pi Bed. I await a swift and ball winder that I finally broke down and purchased. I realized that I had something like 15 skeins of yarn that needed to be wound to use and I couldn't face it. It seemed to take forever to wind my "Socks that Rock" yarn and there was just a little over 300 yards of it. I just received two more in their new sized skein, so that will take even longer. Better to not make myself crazy, which I nearly did hand winding the 500 yards in Brooks Farm Harmony.

Sorry no pictures today. Maybe next week, when the bed and even possibly some sockies are finished. And I'm trying to figure out what gauge of wire (26 or 28) to purchase so I can try some bead knitting and/or crochet with sterling. I've been thinking about it for a long time and mes thinkin' it's time to take the plunge.

No comments: