Thursday, February 16, 2012

Junk mail Thursday

Every now and again, I review some of the spam mail and phishing that land in my junk mail box. Because important documents land in my junk mail (Sorry Dr. Erickson!), despite my best efforts I have to peruse it every day. Penn State has a "grey mail" screen that sends messages to junk if the screen even guesses that it might be junk. Lately though I've been finding what is clearly garbage in my "in" box. It's a mystery.

Here are some of the latest offerings:

"FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION"
SPAM:SPAM: Advise To Contact


THIS IS AN OFFICIAL ADVICE FROM THE FBI FOREIGN REMITTANCE/TELEGRAPHIC DEPT., IT HAS COME TO OUR NOTICE THAT THE C.B.N (CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA) HAS RELEASED The paper work of 100,500,000.00 U.S DOLLARS INTO BANK OF AMERICA which was been handled by GUARANTY TRUST BANK PLC. and your name was included as the BENEFICIARY,BY INHERITANCE MEANS.
There, of course, is a link for me to "send" my signature. Somebody needs to tell this asshat that there is no FBI FOREIGN....FBI only deals with US crime.  Also, some lawyer lackey would have been sent to my abode with paperwork if this were remotely true.

From: "Loterias del Estado"
Subject: Award Notification
With only a PDF attachment .......huh? Yeah, I'm clicking on that right quick!

From: "UniversitiesNews.com Editorial"
Subject: News Portal for Universities Worldwide - UniversitiesNews.com

This one got through to my in box probably because of the word universities.

But here's the fun part:
We are pleased to inform you about our News Portal for Universities Worldwide. www.universitiesnews.com
UniversitiesNews.com has been online for more than 1 year and has been continuously updating news related to education fraternity. It will be wrong to say that this site is the best but yes, we can say It is no less. 

You're the best? That's why no one has ever hear of you.


And my favorite:


From: "Karen"
Subject: I WILL HELP OK


HELLO MY NAME IS KAREN SHAW I LIVE IN NEW YORK, I LOST MY HUSBAND AND THREE KIDS IN FATAL ACCIDENT IN 2005. SINCE THEN I COULD NOT GAIN MYSELF. HOWEVER, I WILL LOVE TO HELP PEOPLE IN NEED AND THE BUSINESS MAN AND WOMAN WHO NEED LOAN AND ALSO NEED MONEY FOR BUSINESS.

IF YOU NEED MY HELP PLEASE CONTACT ME I WILL HELP YOU FINANCIALLY.

MAY GOD BLESS YOU

KAREN 
Karen, please do us all a favor and go gain yourself.

3 comments:

Kaye said...

Ha ha! Go gain yourself might be my new favorite insult!

kemtee said...

Heh.

Did I tell you that I won the Netherlands Lotto again? That's the third time this week!

Bina Simon said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
skip bin hire ipswich
skip bin hire rocklea