Tuesday, February 03, 2009

"6!"

And no that's not the infamous beginning of the number of the beast...or maybe it is!



Six-burgh



We were way excited here at Casa Black n' Gold. So excited we drank a bottle of champagne when I calmed down enough to handle the stemware without breakage. Luckily, we were smart enough to take Monday off. (Champagne kicks my ass, but I do love it so.) Probably should have toasted with an Ahrn... I, as is usual, couldn't even watch the last 4 or so minutes. I hate to say it, but it speaks to the fact that I'm not a native 'Burgher (only by marriage). That and I still can't say "dahntahn" properly.

Here's what I did to stop myself from chewing my fingernails to the knuckle.



This is Wrap Me Up to block #4. My LYS had their usual Superbowl sale on Sunday afternoon. (No, not during the game. We here at football central wouldn't be caught dead shopping no matter who was playing.)I went specifically to get my "contrast" yarn for Wrap Me Up, because I decided I was going to "knit ahead". We were only supposed to finish the first three blocks. You can see a bit of the mitered squares block if you look closely. I was trying to figure out what to do with my hands during the game, that wouldn't be too fiddley (no socks) or that I wouldn't have to prompt myself with a pattern (no Lace Ribbon, though that desperately needs attention), that left WMU. I was so focused, even drinking hard cider, that I finished the half-linen stitch block and added the ruffle. That's what you see in pink. I'm not sure that particular pink is the best contrast choice, but it is fun. I have no idea if the pattern is executed properly, or if I have the correct number of rows, but what the heck. That bit of the shawl will have history knitted in.

While there I also snagged three skeins of-are you sitting down-cashmere, in "wine", for, probably, a cowl - at HALF price. Youza! I shouldn't have purchased anything, I had just spent a fortune on Monday what with the class and half the yarn for project (Cynthia has to order more Noro in the colorways I selected). And since I chose the winning team...thank you Stillers...I can also get 20% off the yarn for one project, but I think I'll have to let that slide.

To wrap this up, here is an "in progress" photo of the Lace Ribbon scarf in Koigu KPM. (With more gratuitous Steeler stuff...)

And there is a story here. I was in Philly in September for a workshop. I had some time one evening and walked to Rosie's Yarn Cellar - a great little place. (It never ceases to amaze me how much fine yarn a little space can squeeze in.) They had several kinds of yarn I've always wanted, but never had to opportunity to try. One is Koigu. I chose that lovely apricotty yarn, bought two skeins, after discussing my plan with the nice clerk who was unpacking boxes, and went on my way. I didn't have the pattern (Lace Ribbon) with me, but she knew the pattern, and thought that two skeins would be plenty. When I got home, I realized it wasn't enough. So I called a few days later, and another nice clerk (they all must be lovely), sent me another from the same lot. Fast forward to January 2009, I've just finished one skein (175 yds), and I've got barely 20 inches. Yikes! That means that even with blocking I may get a scarf between 60 and 70 inches. I'm a long scarf kinda gal....think Isadora Duncan. So now, roughly 4+ months later I call Rosie's again, and AGAIN, a nice clerk searches the Koigu and finds THE LAST skein from this lot. It turns out it is her favorite color too, and is delighted she can send the last skein to a good home. She apologizes because it seems to have gone up a $1 in price, but...this is the best part, they only charge me $1 to send it...AND I get in two days later. Granted, I won't need it for months at the rate I'm going, but jeepers. How can you beat this?



Here's a close-up.










If you're ever in Philly. Trek to dahntahn, (ignore all the Eagles/Phillies banners), and stop in Rosie's. You won't be sorry. And if you're ever in Central PA, stop in Stitch Your Art Out and say hi to Cynthia and Kim, great yarns, lovely location. Stop at Watkins Dairyette down the street for a custard. They also do quilting, and if you're not a quilter....you'll be tempted to start.

3 comments:

Bezzie said...

Hee hee, I broke my Koigu cherry at Rosie's too!

Mag said...

It was a great game. (we saw another great game the Saturday before, Penguins vs Maple Leafs)
Nothing like getting a luxury item at half off. I live for that sort of bargain.

kemtee said...

Hampton Roads is very proud of the Rev. Dr. Tomlin. It's been the news headline all week so far.