Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Heard....

As you may guess from many postings, we are news junkies in our house. And no we don't limit ourselves to Fox, though it is pretty good one stop shopping, because it is usually sourced and I can figure out the pedigree, and thus the accuracy, of any particular story. But last evening I was doing some chores to keep the authorities from declaring our place a Superfund site, TV was on I'm not sure what channel, and I heard this....[paraphrase]....

The person speaking was a Democratic strategist, I didn't get her name, but she was addressing the ever decreasing support that HR3200 is getting from "unaffiliated" voters. (That would be those of us who are not registered to a party or committed to an ideology...read: me.) She was postulating that Obama has to "TELL" us what is right and good with his policy so we understand that we should support this bill.

I have news...we are "unaffiliated" (i.e., independent) BECAUSE WE EITHER DON'T WANT OR NEED TO BE TOLD what to do or think. We have enough gray matter to figure it out for ourselves. And in some cases we will agree and in some cases we will not, and we, as a group do not move in lock-step and THAT'S WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN INDEPENDENT VOTER. The idea lives or dies on its own merits. When these (define these however you wish) people start to truly understand this, well, the landscape will change. I'm not holding my breath. Until then, I am apparently, someone who should be TOLD what to think. (Makes me giggle just thinking about it.)


Speaking of independent, here is Wrap Me Up, pre-blocking:



Pretty interesting no? I am looking to "wrap up", pun intended, a project or two here in the very near future. I do not just cast on at a whim. I keep a couple or three things burbling, but never more than three, and that's counting socks. At the moment, I have the WMU, Girasole, and Oceania Cardigan, which is giving me the vapors. I'm at the end of the trail on WMU, and hope to finish Girasole in the next three weeks. As soon as I finish sleeve one, I am suspending operations on the cardigan until Girasole is finished.

But I digress, if you look at the pattern page for Wrap Me Up (and as an aside, does that model look pissy or what? I'm wondering if she thinks that's sexy-pouty or something--weird), you'll see that it has a "dragon tooth" edging on one side. (You will also see some other details that I refrained from including, but I'll deal with those when I finish.) I'm not that partial to that edging, so I'm thinking a nice applied I-cord might be better. I've also just noticed that the edging has two colors. One is the contrast color, screaming pink in my case, and the other is the main color. I think this piece has enough going on without adding to the circus with the edging, don't you? And as I sit here and contemplate my navel, instead of evaluating worksheets, like I should be, it occurs to me that I will also not have to pick up a bajillion stitches on that edge if I choose to do applied I-cord. Hummmm...an unexpected payoff.

So the wrap is soaked, spun in the washer, and blocked and dried, now I'm hoping to get the edging worked by the next knitting group. Then I'll be picking Cynthia's brain about the cardigan...I think I have fitting issues. I'm so not proud....

2 comments:

Bezzie said...

Wha? Think for yourself? You're so unAmerican! ;-)

Love that wrap--I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before!

Peggy said...

I like your wrap more than the picture!!... the colors, etc. and I agree about the edging... if an opinion from someone you don't even know means anything to you!... I do have "qualifications" though as I am a weaver, beader and knitter!...

I am from Happy Valley but have not lived there since I got married many moons ago...

As for thinking for yourself... gee... how dare you!!(: